Planning permission and listed building consent were granted for the conversion of one of Coventry’s historic old houses, Stoke House in Wyken, which was the birthplace of Colonel Wyley.
Colonel William Fitzthomas Wyley was a chemist who became the Lord Mayor of Coventry in 1911.
Between 1889 and 1940 he lived at the Charterhouse and on his death he left it to the city.
Stoke House is over 200 years old. It was occupied by a leather merchant named Harvey and then a socilitor named John Brown Twist (1809 – 1885). Twist was the director of the Gas Company and Coventry Canal Company and was a respected Churchman. The old house had a stable and a cobbled courtyard and is original except for the firedoors. In 1939 – 1945 it was used as a barrage balloon unit. After the war it became a Children’s Home and until recently was a secure unit for young offenders.
The building was vacant for many years and has now been converted and developed into a Care Home renamed as Eden House.