Company War Memorials
British Thompson-Houston Co Ltd
Dedicated to: The employees of British Thompson-Houston (Coventry) who died in the war.
History: This was originally erected in the British Thompson-Houston factory in Alma Street.
Current Location: Royal Warwicks Club, Tower Street.
Coventry Chain Company
Dedicated to: The 47 employees of the Coventry Chain Company who died in the war.
History: Coventry Chain built a drinking fountain and horse trough on Hearsall Common as a memorial. It was handed over to the city by AS Hill, Managing Director of the Company, in July 1920. The horse trough
and the wrought iron sides of the drinking fountain have disappeared but the column was restored and rededicated in 1999 in this new location. The plaque, which was missing, was found by Stuart Clewlow in a market in
Current location: Spon End, in front of the Koko building.
Coventry Chain – Renold Chain
As well as the memorial shown above, the Coventry Chain Company and its successor Renold Chain have a memorial plaque inside the Cenotaph in the War Memorial Park. It is believed that there were also two memorial
dovecotes at the factory.
Dedicated to: Erected to the memory of those employees who served their country: 1914 – 1918 1939 – 1945
Current Location: Inside the Chamber of Silence, the Cenotaph, War Memorial Park.
Dedicated to: The employees of Dunlop (Coventry) who died in both world wars.
History: Erected in the Dunlop factory after the Second World War. Later moved to the Dunlop Club before being restored and returned to the Dunlop site.
Current Location: On the Dunlop site, now owned by Meggitt Plc.
Iliffe and Sons Ltd
Dedicated to: The 233 employees of Messrs Iliffe and Sons Ltd, Printers and Publishers, who served in the war and to the 39 who died.
History: Bronze tablet unveiled by W Coker Iliffe, November 1921, at the Vicar Lane Works and later installed at the company’s Hertford Street Offices. It was inscribed ‘To the Glory of God and in memory of the
men of this firm who gave their lives in the Great War, 1914-1918’.
Current location: This memorial was destroyed when the Coventry Evening Telegraph offices were bombed in the War.
Siddeley-Deasy Motor Co Ltd
Dedicated to: The employees of the Siddeley-Deasy Motor Car Co who served in the war. Includes the names of the 26 who lost their lives.
History: As well as a memorial board, Siddeley-Deasy paid for plaques in the War Memorial Park for each man who died.
Current location: The roll of honour is in the Herbert’s History Centre.
Triumph and Gloria
Dedicated to: The 66 employees of the Triumph and Gloria Companies who died in the war.
History: Stone column, unveiled by Siegfried Bettmann in March 1921, with over 1000 people attending the ceremony.
Current location: London Road Cemetery.
Do you have any additional information on the city’s First World War memorials? If so, please complete the form below:
Enquiring if you have any information about a Daimler Company war memorial. There must have been one. Thanks