Skip to main content

Other Coventry Memorials

Chauntry Place

Dedicated to: The men of Chauntry Place who served in the war. [Note, that Chauntry Place was purpose built for firemen, relating to the nearby Coventry Fire Station.]

History: This is a wooden shrine to the 54 men of Chauntry Place who had joined up including the four who had died. It was unveiled by the Rev EB Littlewood in June 1917 [This information is not consistant with the image below].

Current location: Royal Warwicks Club, Tower Street.

Memorial - Chauntry Place

Foleshill Memorial

Dedicated to: The people of Foleshill who served and died in the war.

History: This memorial consisted of four columns on a platform, each with a globe on top. Figures of an airman, sailor and soldier were on the front, surmounted by the angel of victory. It was unveiled by the Mayor in 1919 on Durbar Avenue.

It was made of wood and plaster and was intended to be a temporary memorial, but the permanent one was never built. The memorial was demolished in the 1930s.

Current location: This memorial no longer exists.

Foleshill War Memorial

London Road Cemetery

Dedicated to: Men who died on active service and are buried in London Road Cemetery.

History: This memorial is in the form of a stone cross. The remains of 95 men who died in the war, including one Belgian soldier, are buried in the cemetery. This is a Commonwealth War Graves Commission memorial. The memorial was recently restored following vandalism and the sword was replaced with a fibreglass replica. 

Current location: London Road Cemetery.

Memorial in LRC

Radford War Memorial

Dedicated to: The men of Radford who served in the war.

History: This is an obelisk which was originally sited on the village green in Radford. It was paid for and unveiled by Councillor Vernon Pugh in December 1919. It lists all the men who served with the names of the 17 who died marked. The memorial was moved nearer to St Nicholas’ Church in the 1980s. Two of the brass plaques had been stolen and the others were removed for safe-keeping. The Radford War Memorial Restoration Fund raised money to restore it and the memorial was restored and re-dedicated in April 2016.

Current location: In front of St Nicholas’ Church, Radford.

Radford War Memorial

Original location of Radford War Memorial

Sikh War Memorial

Dedicated to: All the Sikh regiments which served in the army from 1850 to 1945.

History: This memorial marks over 100 years of Sikh involvement in the British military, including the First World War. It was created by members of the Sikh community. 130,000 Sikh soldiers saw active service in the First World War on the Western Front, at Gallipoli, in Africa and in the Middle East.

Current location: Junction of Stoney Stanton Road and Phoenix Way.

Sikh War Memorial

Spencer Park

Dedicated to: People of Coventry who died in the war.

History: This memorial was a wooden obelisk with a cross at the top. It was designed, built and paid for by discharged soldiers and was intended to be Coventry’s war memorial and to be replaced by a stone version. However a new memorial was planned for the Memorial Park and the Spencer Park memorial was taken down in 1927.

Current location: This memorial no longer exists. A plaque and an oak tree mark its position.

Memorial at Spencer Park

Spencer Park tree  Spencer Park memorial

Walsgrave War Memorial

Dedicated to: The 15 men of the village who died in the war.

History: This is a six metre high stone cross on the corner of Hinckley Road and Hall Lane. It was dedicated by Colonel HJ Hutt of the Royal Warwickshire Regiment in December 1921. It was restored and rededicated in 2007.

Current location: Walsgrave.

Walsgrave War Memorial

 

War Memorial Park

Dedicated to: People of Coventry who died in the war.

History: In 1921 a new park was opened in the Styvechale area of the city as a tribute to people of Coventry who died in the Great War. In 1923 a scheme was started to plant trees in memory of men who had died, each with its own plaque. Over 200 trees were planted.

In 1927 a 26 metre high Portland stone monument was unveiled by Field Marshall Earl Haig. Inside the monument is a room called the Chamber of Silence, which contains a copy of Coventry’s Roll of the Fallen.

On 17 July 2014 the Memorial Park was dedicated as a Centenary Field in a ceremony performed by Prince William. It is the first of 500 parks to be awarded this status.

War Memorial Park

Plaque inside war memorial

plaque inside war memorial

In addition to these memorials the War Memorial Park has a number of memorial exhibits and sculptures:

The Beech Leaves Sculpture:

Beech Leaves Scultpture

Poppy Sculpture:

Poppy sculpture

Missing Faces Exhibition:

Missing Faces Exhibition

Westwood Heath Memorial Nurses Home

This building was dedicated as a First World War memorial. It was located at 93 Cromwell Lane, Tile Hill. The nurses home stood empty for some years and is now Lee Gordon House, a specialist Care Home. 

Lee Gordon House

Westwood Memorial Plaque

Memorial Clock

Dedication: This clock together with the clocks in Broadgate and Warwick Road was presented to the City of Coventry in memory of Captain Percy Malin Pridmrore MC 6th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment who was killed in action near Ypres on the 2nd September 1917 while gallantly serving his country in the Great War.

Current Location: The Council House, Coventry.

Memorial clock in the Council House

Church Memorials     Clubs and Organisations     Public Service memorials    School memorials  

Regimental memorials    Company Memorials         Return to War Memorials Home Page

Do you have any additional information on the city's First World War memorials? If so, please complete the form below: