Skip to main content

Coventry City Council and Other Public Service War Memorials

Coventry City Council Education Department

Coventry City Council education dept

Dedicated to: The staff of the Coventry City Council Education Department who served in the war.

Current location: The Council House.

Coventry City Council Electricity Department

Dedicated to: The men of the Coventry City Council Electricity Department who served in the war and those who gave their lives. It also includes those who served in the Second World War.

Current location: Herbert Art Gallery and Museum.

CCC Electricity Dept memorial

Coventry City Council Finance Department

Coventry City Council finance dept memorial

Dedicated to: The staff of the Coventry City Council Finance Department who served in the war.

Current location: The Council House.

Coventry City Council Engineers’ and Water Department

Memorial - Engineers and Water Dept

Dedicated to: The staff of the Coventry City Council Engineers’ and Water Department who served in the war.

Current location: The Council House.

Coventry City Council Gas Department

Gas Dept Memorial

Dedicated to: The men of Coventry City Council Gas Department who served in the war.

Current location: The Council House.

Coventry Corporation Transport

Memorial at Bus Garage

1914 - 1918: Roll of Honour to employees of Coventry Corporation Transport.

Location: Coventry National Express Bus Garage. The original location of this memorial is not known. 

Coventry Tramways Department

Dedicated to: The 130 men of the Coventry City Council Tramways Department who served in the war and the 16 who died.

History: This memorial consisted of oak panels finished in black and gold. It was unveiled by the Mayor in June 1919 at Priestley’s Bridge Depot, Stoney Stanton Road.

Location: We do not know what happened to this memorial. Can you help?

Tramway memorial

Coventry Police Force

Dedicated to: The men of the Coventry Police Force who died in the war.

Current location: Little Park Street Police Station.

Police Memorial

Belgian War Memorial, St. Mary's Guildhall

Belgian War Memorial, St Mary's guildhall

Dedicated by: World War 1 Belgian refugees to the city as a token of their gratitude to the city. 

History: Coventry gave refuge to a large number of Belgian refugees during the First World War. The plaque was given as a token of gratitude by them.

Current Location: In the entrance foyer to St. Mary's Guildhall. 

Coventry Post Office

Dedicated to: The staff of Coventry Post Office who died in the two World Wars.

History: Tablet with the names of the 16 men who died in the First World War and the 16 who died during the Second. The memorial is said to have been unveiled in December 1920 by Mr Mears, Postmaster, although it is not clear how this is possible.

Location: The memorial is now located in the Coventry North Delivery Office, and was presumably previously located at Bishop Street.

Post Office War memorial

Photo courtesy of Hazel Nicholson

Church Memorials     Clubs and Organisations     School memorials   Company memorials    

Regimental memorials    Other memorials      Return to War Memorials Home Page

Do you have any additional information on the city's First World War memorials? If so, please complete the form below: