Coundon Hall (The Old Hall) Tamworth Road
The Old Hall on Tamworth Road was an 1840’s country house, that dates from the development of Coundon as a residential district for the more affluent city residents. During the Victorian period, affleunt traders and retired people from the city built large new houses along Tamworth Road in the still attractive rural area of Coundon and Kerseley, away from the working class areas of the city. Other big houses in the district include Coundon House in Southbank Road, Keresley Grange and Coundon Court (now a school). Coundon Hall, usually known as the Old Hall, is a Grade II listed building, which was previously a pub-restaurant. It suffered a fire during building works in 2010 which destroyed a large area of the roof. A temporary cover was installed but a long term solution is needed. The building is currently vacant.
A planning application to refurbish the building was turned down by the Council, against the advice of the Coventry Society.
Update - February 2014
A modified plan has been submitted that would see the Old Hall open with a banqueting suite and hotel facilities. The owners say they are ready to bring the Grade II listed building back to life as soon as the all important permission is granted. In the latest scheme there are 50 bedrooms, a gymnasium and ladies boutique. The Society is looking to scrutinise the new plans at a meeting with the developer. Follow these links to view the latest submitted planning application and application for listed building consent.
A news story about the plans can be read here.