The Coventry Society
Walk around Old Coundon
Monday 11th August 2014
Meet at 6.30 p.m. at St. Osburg's Church
This visit is free for both members and non-members
What's New on Our Site:
A story about our September meeting - When Warwickshire went to war - 23/7/2014
A review of A History of Caludon Castle added to the site - 2/5/2014
The Annual Report for 2013/2014 has been added to the site - 13/4/2014
A new story about the River Sherbourne - 6/4/14
A new story about the Joseph Levi clock - 21/3/2014
A new story about plans for The Old Hall - 7/3/2014
We have added a new memorial and some new photos to the page about First World War Memorials in Coventry - 23/7/2014
A new Buildings at Risk page about Theatre One - added 10/2/14; updated 29/4/2014
Our Page on The Old Hall, Tamworth Road, has been updated 5/2/14
A Donation Page has been added - 21/1/2014
Plans for Draper's Hall have been added to our Draper's Hall Page - 16/1/2014
The Join Up page has been amended to take account of the new discount for couples - 29/11/2013
More Planning applications - 21/7/2014
The Coventry Society is Coventry's civic society, affiliated to Civic Voice, and a registered charity .
The Society is a membership organisation open to anyone who supports our objectives:
- To promote the environmental, social, economic and cultural improvement of Coventry for the benefit of people living and working here.
- To promote high standards of planning, urban design and architecture in or affecting Coventry.
- To preserve, and to promote understanding and appreciation of, the built, landscape and environmental heritage and history of Coventry.
- To promote high quality public amenities and services for the people of Coventry.
- To promote harmonious relations among the community of all races, beliefs and cultures in Coventry. The Society was formed in 1970 and was revived in 2004.
The Coventry Society campaigns for...
Quality in Coventry
We want to see better quality in the streets, squares, parks and buildings in all parts of Coventry. We want to see well designed streets with active frontages, not dominated by road signs, guard rails and other clutter.
We want Coventry to have the leisure, sports and cultural facilities and services you would expect for a city of its size.
Diversity and distinctiveness in Coventry
We do not want Coventry to look like every other city. We need different types of shops and cultural amenities, catering for everyone. We promote and protect independent retailers and other small businesses.
Coventry's heritage is important for the City's sense of identity and belonging. The character and quality, that old buildings and other historic features bring to our city centre and neighbourhoods, needs to be protected. Urgent attention needs to be paid to making good use of old buildings.
The Coventry Society....
- holds lively monthly meetings on topics relevant to the quality of our city
- organises other events where people can find out what is going on in the city and get their views heard
- produces an informative monthly newsletter for its members and this web site
- monitors planning applications and campaigns to improve the quality of new developments
- keeps an eye on Coventry's heritage and works actively to find new uses for old buildings
- co-operates with community groups, the City Council, architects and developers to promote quality in the built environment
- works to encourage all Coventry's citizens to have a say on the future of our city
- comments on City Council and other policy that affects the future of our city
Registered Charity No. 500229
Download the Coventry Society's Constitution
The Objectives the Society Set for 2013 and the Achievements to date.
Click on the images for slideshow